Friday 26 February 2016

Cinema reviewed: The Hateful Eight, The Revenant, Deadpool, Spotlight, Star Wars, Janis, Macbeth, The Big Short, Moonrise Kingdom, The Danish Girl

I've watched a lot of films lately. I used to have next to no interest in movies, probably because I find it hard to concentrate on one thing for more than five minutes..................................................
Anyway, where was I? I've seen pretty much all the hyped movies of 2016 so far and to give a big reveal early in this article, nothing I've seen made my 'favourite films' list.

The Revenant was hyped for a long time and it looked so good. It looked like exactly the film I wanted to see. But ultimately, there was a lot missing, such as a storyline. I guess that's where films lose out to books.

DiCaprio has been in much better films and acted better. Catch Me If You Can for one! I didn't enjoy Inception, sorry! It looks like Leo will get his Oscar at long last though. At least it'll put an end to the 'Will Leo ever win an Oscar?' saga.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens was even more built up than The Revenant and a lot of die-hard fans were eagerly anticipating its release only for many of them to feel let down. Don't ask me why - I wouldn't know - I've always been a casual observer where Star Wars is concerned. Watching parodies on Family Guy seemed to suitably prepare me with enough background knowledge to follow the latest production though and I really liked it!

Obviously Daisy Ridley and John Boyega were the stars of the wars. It was just a very entertaining film with great special effects. It was nice to see Harrison Ford and Chewbacca return. They added some humour in a generally witty film.

Out of all the films I've seen recently, Macbeth, starring one of my favourite actors, Michael Fassbender and another I like, Marion Cotillard, was the one I expected to love. I didn't though. I don't think it translated to the screen although Cotillard was fantastic. Fassbender was lacklustre, for me, but maybe it was his part that let him down? He was the lead of course, but Cotillard's (Lady Macbeth's) soliloquies stole the show. The film's worth watching just for the drama she creates, on her knees alone in a room. I had forgot how amazing she is. Time to watch La Vie en Rose again?


The Big Short wasn't short of big names. Ryan Gosling - God bless him - turned up, Christian Bale - the man the legend - starred. Brad Pitt was there, though his part was easy to forget. It was an interesting and witty take on the credit and housing collapse in the mid-2000s focusing on a few bankers who forecast the disaster and took advantage of it. I left the film feeling sort of helpless in the world and remembered how unfairly the world's wealth is distributed and how there's probably nothing I can do about it.

The Danish Girl was beautifully-acted by Eddie Redmayne and Alicia Vikander who looked good doing it too. The film is about Danish artist Einar Wegener (Redmayne), who finds it increasingly difficult to hide his discomfort at his own masculinity and desire to act like and be a woman from his beloved wife, Gerda (Vikander). The film is based on the true story of Lili Elbe, one of the first people to undergo sexual reassignment surgery. When Einar eventually opens up to Gerda about who he really is, Gerda stays with her husband and supports him in his journey to becoming a woman physically as well as spiritually. I really enjoyed the experience of watching The Danish Girl. It was easy on the eye, shot in colourful Copenhagen and the femininity Redmayne managed to evoke was mesmeric. He should win best actor at the Oscars but DiCaprio will.


The best of the rest in my opinion, was The Hateful Eight. It's a really fun movie and long if you have nothing to do all evening!

No comments: